See photos (4)

CHAPELLE DE SAN CHAOUSOU

Religious building in Balsieges
  • The chapel of " San Chaousou " is installed in a cavity occupied by man since at least 2500 BC according to the results of archaeological excavations carried out in 1979. In an ancient period, the space was divided into two levels by a floor, all that remains are the fixing holes for the beams. At the beginning of the Middle Ages, the shelter was transformed into a chapel, pilgrimage developed there. A source would be found there that would cure deafness and blindness. Destroyed during the...
    The chapel of " San Chaousou " is installed in a cavity occupied by man since at least 2500 BC according to the results of archaeological excavations carried out in 1979. In an ancient period, the space was divided into two levels by a floor, all that remains are the fixing holes for the beams. At the beginning of the Middle Ages, the shelter was transformed into a chapel, pilgrimage developed there. A source would be found there that would cure deafness and blindness. Destroyed during the wars of religion, it is a hermit: "Loysson", who restores it in 1665. The whole is destroyed, again, during the revolutionary troubles. Abbé Clavet had the current chapel built, which was consecrated on Saint Joseph's Day in 1873. " Chaousou " is the local spoken form of Joseph. The pilgrimage still takes place, once a year. Hiking : The footpath that leads to San Chaousou (11 km).
Services
  • Services
    • Self-guided visits
  • Rates
  • Adult
    From 0 €
Close